Waste management for our community is completely controlled and managed by the Town of Clarenville. Vardy’s Waste Disposal currently holds the contract for waste collection.
Waste and recyclable material should be sorted at home and will be collected at the curb through the weekly collection service.
- Garbage must be at curbside no later than 7:00am.
- Garbage must be placed in a bin or covered at curbside.
- Garbage must be in a garbage bag (regular black is acceptable), not kitchen catchers or super-market sized bags.
- Each bag should not weigh more than 50 lbs.
- A limit of 6 garbage bags can be set out each collection day.
- No limit for recyclables.
- Household Hazardous Waste SHOULD NOT be amongst your garbage.
Waste Collection Days:
- Monday – Clarenville from Hibernia Drive to Gardiner Place
- Tuesday – Clarenville (Shoal Harbour) from Beaumont Hamel Drive to Cabot Home Centre (Road to Random Island).
- If a holiday falls on a Monday, Clarenville garbage will be picked up on Tuesday and Shoal Harbour garbage will be picked up on Wednesday.
Household waste is not accepted at the Clarenville Waste Recovery Facility, however bulk waste is accepted on site. Visit: https://easternregionalserviceboard.com/residents/waste-recovery-facilities/ for a list of what can be disposed at the facility.
Curbside Recycling program occurs every second week after that (as per schedule above). Recyclables MUST be in clear blue bags. Most local retailers have the proper bags.
Preparing Your Recyclables
1. Sort recyclables into two groups: paper products and containers
2. Place all paper products together in clear blue recycling bags (separate from containers)
3. Ensure all containers are rinsed then placed in clear blue recycling bags (separate from paper products)
Please Note: Loose cardboard will not be collected
There will be a Bulk Collection TWO times a year. Each Bulk Collection will consist of two days, first day for bulk non-metal and the second day for bulk metal.
- Bulk items must be placed at curbside no later than 7am on collection day and no earlier than 24 hrs before collection day.
- Please ensure to separate non-metal items from metal for the assigned collection day. Any bulk that is not separated will not be taken.
- Black garbage bags are not accepted during bulk pick-up.
- A limit of 500 lbs or one pick-up load (whichever is less) will be collected from each household.
- Individual items should be no more than 50 lbs.
- The Clarenville Waste Recovery Facility will also accept residential bulk waste that cannot be placed at the curb for weekly collection. All materials must be offloaded by hand.
2023 Bulk Collection Dates:
- May 4, October 19 – Bulk Non-metal
May 5, October 20 – Bulk Metal
Clarenville from Hibernia Drive to Gardiner Place
- May 11, October 26 – Bulk Non-metal
May 12, October 27 – Bulk Metal
Clarenville (Shoal Harbour) from Beaumont Hamel Drive to Cabot Home Centre (Road to Random Island)
The Clarenville Waste Recovery Facility is located at the old landfill site. It accepts bulk household waste such as appliances, furniture, mattresses, hot water tanks, electronics, metals, propane tanks, car and truck tires (rims removed), ATV and motorcycle tires, construction and demolition material, shingles, brush, etc. We will not accept anything that is recyclable or materials that decompose, including cardboard, clothing, food items, leaves, grass clippings, ash, and fishnets.
Commercial waste will be accepted at the facility. Important information for commercial operators:
- Permits are required from Eastern Regional Service Board’s office. Permits must be permanently attached to vehicles.
- Vehicles will be weighed at the facility.
- The fee is $87.60 per metric tonne for domestic waste and $40.00 per metric tonne for recyclables.
- Metals will be accepted free of charge. Other items may have to be taken directly to the Regional Waste Management Facility at Robin Hood Bay.
Commercial haulers are encouraged to call our office before arriving at the site to ensure material will be accepted.
Clarenville Waste Recovery Facility
HOURS OF OPERATION:
Tuesday and Thursday: Noon – 3:45 p.m. | Saturday: 8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.; 12:30 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.
A limit of 16 visits per year will be permitted to the Waste Recovery Facility. All materials must be offloaded by hand.
* Household waste will not be accepted at the Recovery Facility, however bulk waste will still be accepted on site.
For more information on the Waste Recovery Facilities please visit: https://easternregionalserviceboard.com/residents/waste-recovery-facilities/
- May 4, October 19 – Bulk Non-metal