frequently asked questions

Browse through our most frequently asked questions (FAQs) for the Town of Clarenville.

Click the + below for answers to your questions.

Garbage and Recycling

Eastern Waste Management offers free household hazardous waste (HHW) collection events for residents across the Eastern Region each June and September.

Household Hazardous Items:

– Oil & Latex Paint
– Paint Thinners & Stain
– Motor Oil
– Batteries
– Aerosol Cans
– Propane Tanks (Large & Small)
– Used Cooking Oil
– Fluorescent Lightbulbs (Compact & Tubes)
– Fire Extinguishers

Check our website at or the Town of Clarenville facebook page for specific dates as they become available.

There will be a bulk clean-up FOUR times a year.

Feb. 8, Apr. 26, Aug. 9 and Nov. 8: Clarenville from Hibernia Drive to Gardiner Place
Feb. 15, May 3, Aug. 16 and Nov. 22: Clarenville (Shoal Harbour) from Bare Mountain Road to Cabot Home Centre (Road to Random Island)

For more information on bulk clean-up please visit our waste collection page.

Curbside Recycling program occurs every second week after that (as per schedule sent out and found at Recyclables MUST be in clear blue bags. Most local retailers have the proper bags.

For more information on curbside recycling please visit our waste collection page.

Clarenville – garbage picked up on Mondays

Shoal Harbour – garbage picked up on Tuesdays

If a holiday falls on a Monday, Clarenville garbage will be picked up on Tuesday and Shoal Harbour garbage will be picked up on Wednesday.

For more information on garbage pickup please visit our waste collection page.

Load More

Recreation, Culture & Wellness

The Town of Clarenville has many great facilities that are available for rent for private parties, a workshop or conference, meetings, and special events.

To book a Town Facility please visit our Facility Rentals page.

To view User Fees & Charges for Town Facilities please view the Rate Charts available here:

The Clarenville Dog park is located on the Trans Canada Highway, a short drive from the RCMP Detachment.

Clarenville’s leash-free dog park is a place where dogs can run free. When visiting our leash-free dog park, be aware that there are unleashed dogs at play. You are entering the park at your own risk. Parents should supervise their children at all times.

CARA Summer Program
Registration dates for the CARA Summer program are held in June at the Eastlink Events Centre from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.

Registration sheets and more information is available at:

Minor Soccer
Registration for Minor Soccer is held at the end of May. Registration is Online only.

For more information, registration dates and  to register please visit:

Minor Softball
Registration for Minor Softball is held at the end of May. Registration is Online only.

For more information, registration dates and  to register please visit:

Summer Reading for Fun
The Summer Reading for Fun program at the College of the North Atlantic is a FREE children’s program offered by the Newfoundland and Labrador Literacy Council. Includes Reading, crafts, and educational games. Registration takes place at the College of the North Atlantic in July. For more information please contact the CNA Campus at 466-6900.

The Lions Splash Pad at Elizabeth Swan Park will be open, weather-permitting from approximately early June through to early September.

Hours of operation:
Monday: 9:30 am to 7 pm
Tuesday: 9:30 am to 7 pm
Wednesday: 9:30 am to 7pm
Thursday: 9:30 am to Dusk
Friday: 9:30 am to Dusk
Saturday: 9:30 am to Dusk
Sunday: 9:30 am to Dusk

NOTE: The Splash Pad is not supervised by Town staff.

For more information on the Splash Pad please visit our Elizabeth Swan Park page.

The Annual Lions Santa Clause Parade is usually held on the first weekend of December. The parade begins at 10am from Cormack Drive then proceeds along Memorial Drive to the end of the Shoal Harbour Causeway.

For more information on the Annual Santa Clause Parade please visit our Annual Celebrations page.

Our Annual Clarenville Days Celebration takes place the third week in July. Our Clarenville Days Celebrations has been a long tradition and offers a folk festival, pancake breakfast, fish & brewis, community barbeque, kiddies bike parade, pet show, Clarenville Idol, fireworks, boat parade, a dance at the Stadium, games of chance and fun, fun, fun! A full schedule of events is available about 2 weeks before the start of Clarenville Days. For more information, email or contact the town office at 466-7937.

Look for a full schedule of events on our website at or on the Town of Clarenville Facebook page at least 2 weeks prior to the event.

On July 1, our community celebrates Canada Day in the park. Canada Day in the park takes place at Elizabeth Swan Park. Enjoy live entertainment, free BBQ, Dunk Tank, Bouncy Castles,  Face Painting, Fireworks at dusk and much more.

For more information on Canada Day Celebrations please visit our Annual Celebrations page or visit the Town of Clarenville Facebook Page for an updated schedule of events at least 2 weeks prior to the event.

Also on July 1 at 11:30am, join us at the War Memorial located on Pleasant street across of the Town Hall for our Beaumont Hamel Memorial Parade and Service.

Tickets are available for purchase at the Eastlink Events Centre box office or online at

For more information on purchasing a ticket at the EEC please visit:

TheEastlink Events Centre – Clarenville is open from September to April daily from 8am – 11pm.

From April to Mid-June the Centre is open Monday to Thursday, 8:00am to 8pm, Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm. The Eastlink Events Centre – Clarenville is closed weekends unless there is an event scheduled.

From Mid-June to August the Centre is open Monday to Friday, 8:00am to 5pm. The Eastlink Events Centre – Clarenville is closed weekends unless there is an event scheduled.

The Eastlink Events Centre – Clarenville Box Office hours are:
– Wednesday – 12 noon to 5pm
– Thursday – 12 noon to 5pm
– Friday – 12 noon to 5pm
– Event days that fall on a Monday, Tuesday, Saturday, Sunday or holiday, the Box Office will be open at 4 pm prior to the show, unless otherwise stated.

The box office is located in the main lobby of the Eastlink Events Centre, on 15 Blackmore Avenue, off Manitoba Drive in Clarenville.

CREST provides a transportation system for people over the age of sixty and those over twenty-five who are confined to a wheelchair. The service covers an area centered in Clarenville with approximately a twenty-kilometer radius. The service operates on a scheduled route.

For more information on the CREST bus service please visit our Crest Bus Service page.

The town has partnered with Random Age Friendly, a local seniors organization. Random Age-Friendly Communities was established as an organization in June 2007. An Age-Friendly Community provides opportunities for seniors related to physical, mental, social interaction, a safe environment, literacy/education and computer education.

For more information on Random Age Friendly, you can visit their website at

The Twin Town 50+ Club offers various programs, games, outings and much more. For more information please click here.

Volunteers help make it possible for the Town to provide programs and services to citizens of Clarenville and the surrounding communities. There are many ways you can serve:

– Recreational committees including CARA, Wintertainment, Clarenville days etc.
– Child and Youth program committees
– Sport programs
– Age Friendly Communities
– Crest Bus Service
– many more..

While volunteers are appreciated 365 days of the year, we formally recognize volunteers at an Appreciation dinner each fall. This event is a time to give special thanks to all our volunteers and their families.

For more information of volunteer opportunities please contact our Recreation Manager Brandon Reardon at (709) 466-4105 ext 225 or

Clarenville’s Winter Carnival, Wintertainment takes place on the second week in February. Locations include White Hills Resort, Eastlink Events Centre and various locations throughout town.

For more information on Clarenville’s Wintertainment please visit our Annual Celebrations page or visit the Wintertainment Facebook Page.

The CARA Summer program runs for a duration of six (6) weeks. Beginning in July and ending in August.

Activities include: Ultimate Frisbee, Music/Theatre, Fun Movement, Indoor Curling, Basketball, Run Throw Jump Wheel, Badminton, Soccer, Lacrosse, Arts and Crafts, Tchouckball, Table Tennis, Spike Ball, Ball Hockey, Flag Football, Softball, Volleyball, Outdoor Adventures and much more!

For more information on the CARA Summer program please visit the CARA Website at

Information on Clarenville’s Trails, Parks, playgrounds and Facilities can be found by clicking the links below:

Clarenville Trail System

Parks & Playgrounds

Elizabeth Swan Park

Eastlink Events Centre

Sports Facilities


Load More

Fire Department / Fire Prevention FAQs

Besides being a great way to serve your community, being a volunteer firefighter has a number of benefits.

The first step to becoming a volunteer firefighter is completing an application. Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are then interviewed. An Application can be picked up at the Town Hall.

Fire hazard Emergency 466-7777,

Non emergency 466-2222 or Town Hall 466-7937.

Yes. Fire safety inspections are completed by the Fire Chief. If wish to have a fire inspection done please contact the Fire Chief at 466-7937.

Open fire pits  are allowed within the Town of Clarenville.

No fires either contained in an Outdoor Wood Burning Appliance or an Open Air Fire shall be permitted during such periods when:
i) The Department of Forestry, the Clarenville Regional Fire Department or the Town of Clarenville have placed a fire ban within its jurisdiction; or
ii) The Fire Weather Index is high or extreme.

Always use caution when burning in an outdoor fire pit, wood-burning oven, or chimenea.

In Case of fire or emergency call: 466-7777 or call 9-1-1

Load More

In an Emergency

The location of an emergency shelter would depend on the type and location of the emergency. In the event of a Town emergency the Town Hall would notify residents where the emergency shelter is located.

The Bill Davis Chalet located at Elizabeth Swan Park is the designated warm-up shelter in the event of an extended power outage. The Chalet is fully equipment with emergency power, kitchen equipment and supplies in the event a warm up shelter is required.

The Town’s Emergency Operations Centre is located at the Fire Hall.

Category: In an Emergency

The Town of Clarenville is committed to providing efficient and comprehensive emergency services.

RCMP – 466-3211
Fire Department – 466-7777
Ambulance – 466-3468
Hospital – 466-3411
Poison Control – 1-800-722-1110
Mental Health Crisis – 1-888-737-4668

Town of Clarenville After Hours Emergency #’s:
(709) 425-4911 or (709) 466-7875

For a full list of Emergency contacts please visit our Emergency Services Page.

Category: In an Emergency

Load More


All exterior renovations require a permit from the Town with the exception of painting and/or landscaping, provided that the landscape work does not include any sitework. If you are repairing your fence, deck, accessory building, or replacing existing siding, windows, and/or doors, then you would only require an alterations permit. These permits can be issued right away by Staff at the Town Office.

If you are replacing, changing the size of, relocating or building a new access ramp, deck, fence and/or doing any sitework, an application to the Public Works Department is required. Sitework includes but is not limited to the following: placing fill on the property, erecting a retaining wall, adding a new driveway, weeping tile, etc.

A residential accessory building is defined as a garage, carport, shed, swimming pool, greenhouse, cold frame, fuel shed, vegetable storage cellar, and/or shelter for domestic pets. For the erection of a new accessory building, adding an extension and/or relocating an existing building, in addition to a completed application, we require the following:
– A legal survey of the property so we can see where the accessory building is to be located on the lot. A copy of your legal survey may be on file at the Town Office for reference.
– A sketch of the accessory building on a copy of the survey. Any easements over the lot must be avoided and the minimum setback and side/rearyard distances met.
– An estimate of the cost of work for the Municipal Assessment Agency.

For more information please visit our Regulations & Permits page.

Category: Building

Yes, both pools and hot tubs require a permit to be issued from the Town. In accordance with the Town’s Development Regulations, they are considered an accessory use to the property. We have suggested guidelines that we provided to applicants when they apply for a permit. Residential Swimming Pools – Suggested Guidelines

Category: Building

A Demolition Permit is required for the demolition of any residential or commercial building in the Town of Clarenville. All applications are received and permits issued by the Public Works Department at the Town Office.

For more information please visit our Regulations & Permits page.

Category: Building

Yes. All construction including but not limited to: new dwellings, extensions, exterior renovations, accessory buildings, fences, decks, etc. in the Town of Clarenville require a permit from the Town Office.

For more information please visit our Regulations & Permits page.

Category: Building

Building Permit Fees can be found here: Development Permits Overview

Category: Building

Applications for permits must be made in person at the Clarenville Town Office. The applicant must be the owner of a building or property or a person authorized in writing by the owner to apply for a permit on the owner’s behalf. Every application must be accompanied by prescribed plans and specifications and the applicable permit fee.

For more information please visit our Regulations & Permits page.

Category: Building

A building permit is a formal approval to construct, add to, move or remove a building/structure on your property.

A building permit must be obtained for the construction of a new building/structure, or an addition or alteration of any building/structure which results in a building area of more than 10 m2 (108 square feet).

If the contractor or designer obtains the building permit on your behalf, it is still the building/property owner who is ultimately responsible for complying with all building requirements.

For more information please visit our Regulations & Permits page.

Category: Building

Load More


Yes. All properties within the Town of Clarenville, commercial or residential are required to have numbers attached to the main building and should easily identify the civic address of the property. If suites or apartments are attached to the property, the owner is responsible for assigning “A” or “B” to the appropriate units.

For more information please visit our Civic Address Numbering Regulations.

Category: By-Law

Yes. If you are planning on erecting an exterior sign, please complete and submit a Sign Application Form to the Town Office for approval prior to placement.

Category: By-Law

In accordance with the Town’s Development Regulations, only 1 subsidiary apartment is permitted in a single family dwelling. In addition, provisions for off-street parking shall be made, the apartment shall be completely self-contained (include facilities for cooking, sleeping and bathing), must be a minimum of forty (40) square meters of gross floor area for a one-bed apartment (add an additional ten (10) squares meters for each additional bedroom) and requires a fire and life safety inspection performed by the Town.

Category: By-Law

Depending on the nature of your business and if you have clients who visit the home, an application may need to be made to Government Services for their approval and/or exemption before a permit to operate can be issued by the Town. Please contact the Town Office for more information on home offices (no clients on site) and/or home occupations (clients on site).

For more information please visit our Regulations & Permits page.

Category: By-Law

No Person shall shovel, plow, blow or cause to be shoveled, plowed or blown any residue snow from a driveway or parking lot unto any highway, street, sidewalk within the municipal boundaries of the Town of Clarenville. No Person engaged in removing snow or ice from any property or other premises shall do so in any manner that obstructs vehicular traffic on a  street or pedestrian traffic on a sidewalk.

Category: By-Law

Yes, the Town of Clarenville follows the Provincial Dog Act, which requires that all dogs be safely tethered or leashed at all times.

Category: By-Law

Load More


No, only 1 subsidiary apartment is permitted in a single family dwelling.

Category: Planning/Zoning

Yes, a property in the Town of Clarenville can be divided/severed provided the Town’s development standards and zoning uses are adhered too.

Category: Planning/Zoning

If you’re planning on carry out any development activities within the Town of Clarenville’s planning area, contact the Town at the earliest stage as possible for advise.

Category: Planning/Zoning

The following are the supporting maps of the draft Zoning By-Law identifying each of the land use zones within the Town.

Shoal Harbour Zoning Map
Town of Clarenville Zoning Map Part 1
Town of Clarenville Zoning Map Part 2

Category: Planning/Zoning

Load More

Public Works

Residents of Clarenville are advised that as per Section 6 (a) of the Town of Clarenville Traffic Regulations:

6. (a) No person shall park a motor vehicle or trailer on any highway or street reservation:
(i) In such manner so as to hinder, impede, inconvenience or prevent the plowing and/or removal of snow or ice from the highway;
(ii) During the period from the first day of November in each year to the last day of April in the succeeding year, both days inclusive, between the hours of 1:00 a.m. and 08:00 a.m.;
(iii) During a twelve (12) hour period immediately following a snow fall.

While in effect, overnight on-street parking is prohibited between 1 a.m. and 8 a.m. Tickets will be issued continuously while the ban is in effect, regardless of snow or street conditions. The fine for this violation is $50.

All such vehicles are subject to ticketing by the Enforcement Officer and/or RCMP and any costs associated with removal and storage of the vehicle will have to be paid by the owner prior to the vehicle being released.

Also, under the Town’s Snow Removal Policy, residents and businesses removing snow from their property must do so such that it does not impede traffic. Snow from private property shall not be placed so as to cause a nuisance to neighbouring properties by being accumulated in drive or walk ways.

In the event that snow removal from private property creates a nuisance for neighbouring properties, the Town will remove the snow such that the problem is corrected. The resident causing the problem will be billed for the Town’s work at a base rate of $70 per hour with a minimum charge of $70.

Category: Public Works

If you wish to report a non-emergency issue to the Town of Clarenville, please fill out our Report An Issue form.

If you have inquiries for the Public Works Department, please contact the Town Hall at (709) 466-7937.

AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY NUMBERS:  (709) 425-4911 OR (709) 466-7875

NOTE: All submissions will be documented and reviewed during normal business hours

Category: Public Works

Load More

Water / Wastewater

No, the responsibility to keep a fire hydrant near your property clear of snow and obstructions rest with the Town of Clarenville. That said, there are residents and business owners in the Town that do keep fire hydrants near their properties clear during the winter season.

The Public Works Department is responsible for all outside municipal services such as roads, sewer, etc.  If you have a sewer back-up please contact the Public Works Department at the Town Hall (709) 466-7937.

AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY NUMBERS:  (709) 425-4911 OR (709) 466-7875

The Town will determine if the main line is running freely, if it is, the homeowner will have to call a plumber to rectify the problem as it is in their service line.

If you wish to report a non-emergency issue to the Town of Clarenville, please fill out our Report An Issue form.

If you have inquiries for the Public Works Department, please contact the Town Hall at  (709) 466-7937.

 AFTER HOURS EMERGENCY NUMBERS:  (709) 425-4911 OR (709) 466-7875

NOTE: All submissions will be documented and reviewed during normal business hours

Load More


In person at the Town Hall (Office hours are 8:30 am to 4:30 pm). We accept Cash, Cheque, Money Order (Make payable to Town of Clarenville Interac, Visa, Master Card).

By Mail (Address: 99 Pleasant Street, Clarenville, NL A5A 1V9).

On-line Banking/Telephone banking by Pre-Authorized/Electronic Payment.

Mortgage company deductions are also available for Property and Water/Sewer Tax only .

Category: Taxation FAQ

Residents and businesses have until March 31 of the year to pay their current years taxes without interest, however June 30th of the current year is the final deadline to pay the balance. Compound Interest on current years taxes will be applied effective April 1 at a rate of 5% above prime.

Council reserves the right to take action on all current years taxes not paid by June 30th of each year, with the exception of water and sewer taxes which may be paid monthly.

Seniors/Pensioners & Low Income Families will be exempt from interest on place of residence only for current taxes until November 30, 2019, upon application to the Town and subject to criteria as set out in the “Exemption From Interest” policy. These individuals must apply annually and submit supporting documentation. Please contact the office to obtain the form.

Category: Taxation FAQ

Appeals are handled by the Municipal Assessment Agency. If you believe the information on your notice is incorrect, contact the Municipal Assessment agency by telephone, toll-free at 1-877-777-2807.

Category: Taxation FAQ

The current town Mill Rates can be found on our Tax Structure page

For more information on Mill Rates please visit our Annual Budget Page

Category: Taxation FAQ

The amount of municipal tax payable by a property owner or business owner is calculated by multiplying the mil rate by the assessed value of the property and dividing by 1,000. Mil rates can be determined by viewing our Tax Structure page.

Category: Taxation FAQ

Load More


Council elections are held every 4 years. The current Council was declared elected by acclamation on September 5, 2017. The next municipal election in the Town of Clarenville will take place in September, 2021.

Category: Council

Please contact the Town Hall at (709) 466-7937

Category: Council

Yes. Council meetings are open to the public. Council meetings are also broadcast live on the Town’s Facebook page.

Category: Council

Council Meetings are scheduled for every third Tuesday. Contact the Town Hall at (709) 466-7937 for the updated schedule Visit the Meetings and Minutes page for more information.

Category: Council

A mayor, deputy mayor and five Councillors make up the Town of Clarenville Council.

John Pickett – Mayor
Paul Tilley – Deputy Mayor
Bill Bailey – Councilor
Heber Smith – Councilor
Keith Fillier – Councilor
Deidra Strowbridge – Councilor
Donna Maloney-Brown – Councilor

For more information on our Mayor and Councilors please visit our Mayor & Councilors page.

Category: Council

Load More

Comments are closed.