As the weather outside continues to improve, our playgrounds are getting quite busy. Here are some important points to remember when visiting any one of our playgrounds this summer:
Elizabeth Swan Park Bathrooms:
The bathrooms at ESP will open for the season on Thursday, May 27th at 9:00 a.m. Bathroom hours for the summer are as follows: 9:00 a.m. until 9:00 p.m. 7 days a week. A facility attendant will be assigned to the park all summer to keep the bathrooms clean and tidy, and to sanitize the splash pad and playground.
Unfortunately, due to a lack of summer students this year, we will not be able to sanitize our playgrounds, except for Elizabeth Swan Park. All other playgrounds are considered USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. This includes:
- Ted Cooper Playground on Balbo Drive
- Cormack Playground on Cormack Drive
- Moore’s Road Playground
- Riverside Elementary Playground
- Legion Lane Playground
- Riverview Play Area (near softball field on Huntley Drive)
Note: These playgrounds will continue to be maintained and inspected for safety hazards. However, We STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you bring hand sanitizer along with you. Apply before and after using the playground.
Renovations at the Ted Cooper Playground on Balbo Drive:
Recently the Town’s Public Works and Recreation staff completed renovations at the playground on Balbo drive (near the Shoal Harbour Post Office), these renovations will allow for safer use of the playground. The work included:
- A new, larger parking area that have been marked with large boulders at the West end of the playground.
- The entrance to the playground was re-located from the East side of the playground to the West-side, closer to the new parking area. The east entrance is now closed.
- The cross walk on Balbo drive was also moved closer to the parking area and entrance.
NOTE: PLEASE REMEMBER TO REDUCE YOUR SPEED WHEN DRIVING NEAR A PLAYGROUND. USE EXTRA CAUTION WHEN PARKING AT A PLAYGROUND TO ENSURE THE SAFETY OF OUR YOUTH!!
Playground on Riverview Drive (behind softball field on Huntley Drive)
Many residents have raised concerns over the recent proposed plans to alter the playground behind the Shoal harbour softball field. We wish to thank everyone for their feedback. The Town’s Recreation and Committee Development committee have taken all suggestions into consideration and are investigating options to maintain a more condensed playground near the softball field. Revised plans for the area will be shared soon.
General Playground Rules and Regulations:
- All playgrounds are open from dawn to dusk
- Please use trash and recycling containers
- No alcoholic beverages permitted
- No motorized vehicles permitted
Wish to report safety concerns or vandalism? Visit www.clarenville.ca or call 466-7937.
Last modified: May 31, 2021