If you are interested in becoming a Deputy Returning Officer or Poll Clerk for the September 28th, 2021 Municipal Election, please contact Angela Giles at 466-7937 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deputy Returning Officer
The Deputy Returning Officer is responsible for the administration of the polling division to which he/she has been assigned. The specific responsibilities of the Deputy Returning Officer include, but are not limited to:
- the opening and closing of the poll;
- the taking and counting of votes at the particular polling division; and
- the delivery of the sealed ballot box(es) and the statement of the polling division to the Returning Officer subsequent to the counting of the votes.
A Poll Clerk, while generally being responsible to assist the Returning Officer or Deputy Returning Officer in the administration of the polling division is primarily responsible for the proper maintenance of the poll book.
The following individuals are not eligible to perform the duties of a Deputy Returning Officer or Poll Clerk:
- a sitting Councillor for the municipality in which the election is taking place;
- a person who has been found guilty of an offense related to an election under the Act or former Act;
- a person who intends to be nominated or is nominated to be a candidate in the municipality in which the election is taking place; or
- a person who is, voluntarily or for pay, working or intending to work on the campaign of a candidate in the election.
Last modified: August 10, 2021